9.30.2008

BUMMED...

My original post was going to be about me, and how upset I was that Mike didn't get to call tonight. He always calls on Tues. and Thurs. nights to check in. Today was the day they were to find out about their assignments and was a day we have been looking forward to for 3 months. But when I began to type, I realized how selfish that was and how ridiculous it was for me to be upset about something so petty, when there are so many other people who have REAL problems! And so what began about me, turned into this:

Today was one of those days as an educator when your heart is completely broken. As teachers, we are close to so many children, and some, spend more time with us than with their parents. It is hard to not want to save the world and when I began teaching, that is exactly what I wanted to do. However, we know it is not humanly possible to do that, but is still a very difficult pill to swallow. Those kids are your family, and you hurt when they hurt, you cry when they cry, and you celebrate when they celebrate.

This morning, we got word that a mother of two of our students was killed in a car accident. It literally made me weak all over when I heard the news, but what really got me, was when I heard the cries echoing throughout the school of the little girl who had just learned the tragic news. It was a reality check for me, not a good one, but still made me stop and think how lucky I am. I am sure when those children left for school this morning, they never imagined that their mother would not be there when they got home.

When you think you have problems, there is always someone else whose troubles are bigger. It is a time like this, that will make a family, school, and community come together. Anyone who knows our school and the community of Morrison, knows that there are no better people anywhere on the face of this earth! Please keep this family in your prayers. They are definitely going to need them!

8 comments:

House Queen said...

How sad. I can't imagine. I often have days too where I dread to watch my students go home because I am not sure what they are having to face at home. I, too wish we could save the world.

Tanya said...

Alison, I am sorry about your day today and I am truly sorry for the family. I got chill bumps reading your post. I will keep them in my prayers. LOL. Tanya

Danielle said...

I know exactly how you feel. My second year of teaching, I was in Tullahoma, and one of our parents was shot by her husband. The sad thing was, the daughter witnessed it all. Talk about hard! After that year the student moved away,and I still wonder how she is. I certainly will pray for this student and her family.

Tammy said...

I was shocked when I heard the news yesterday also. I know all those children, from the ball-field, and it was a reality check! I agree with you about Morrison and how close everyone is. I'm thankful that my children are from Morrison and are surrounded by wonderful people and especially the teachers that are at Morrison. Having Tyler and the different teachers he HAD to have makes me really realize how lucky Rylan, Andy and Graylin are going to be.(Don't get me wrong Tyler had alot of good teachers)it's just the whole "family" feel that is at Morrison that makes the school stand out.I will be thinking of that family and keeping them in my prayers.
p.s. Alison you are such a good person and I'm also so thankful for you as a friend and as someone that I know is keeping a special eye on my babies when I can't be there.So thank you!!!!Love you.

Kara said...

Sorry to hear about the sadness in the lives of the children you mentioned. Your right, it does take a toll on teachers when something happens to a student.
About the no phone calls from the academy last night, I was also completely bummed. I was afraid that Eddie got such a bad placement that he didn't have the heart to call and tell me, but if you didn't get a phone call either-then none of them must have got to call. Well, I guess were just learning lessons in patience. Hopefully, we'll find out on Thurs. night!

Danielle said...

Hi, I'm Steve. I know that some may think what is a guy doing looking at blogs? Well, Danielle has one for our family so I gradually read others. I enjoy when everyone has nice things to say about people involved in our lives. With all the trouble we have in our country, it is nice to hear positive comments for a change.
As for the tragedy it is sad and my heart goes out to those children. Teaching has been the best job I have ever had. We have to truly love the kids because there is no money in teaching. After all money is only the root of all evils. There have been students we want to forget and some we would bring home with us. When all is said and done we still care about everyone of them no matter how good or how bad they are. That is what teaching is all about.

Alison Cummins said...

Well said, Steve. You are right, teaching is NOT about the money, but about giving everything you have to every child, everyday!
BTW...I don't think it is strange that you are blogging, Mike also looks at the blogs on my favorites list! So you are not alone!:)

Josh, Tanya, Trence & Tripp said...

I got chills the whole way through this post! Bless the family's little heart. I couldn't imagine.