8.25.2008

I'm Back!


I am back and I have so much to catch up on. It has been a great few weeks. My life has drastically changed in so many ways. The biggest change has been with Mike's career path. As most of you know, he was in the ARMY when we met and was stationed at Ft. Campbell. He served 8 years and travelled all over the world, including serving a tour in Iraq when the war began in 2003. At that time, Arden was 5 months old, I was in college and he was away for 6 months. Needless to say, it was a tough time, but looking back, I am glad it happened because I am better because of it. After returning from Iraq, he wanted desperately to become a state trooper, but when he got out the ARMY in October, there was no academy until April, so that was not possible. Lucky for us, he had been going through the hiring process at Bridgestone, while in the ARMY, and was in the hiring pool when he got deployed to Iraq. So after returning home from the war, he went to work there. What a blessing that was! He had a great job, with wonderful benefits. The downfall was he had to work nights, but anything was an improvement from being half way around the world. Bridgestone was very good to us, but Mike's heart wasn't in factory work. And trust me, I worked at Carrier the summer I graduated from college, and your heart has to be there or you can't do it! For all of those people who make a living in a factory, you have my respect!!!! He had pretty much given up on the trooper thing, but it never left his mind. He just assumed that it wasn't meant to be...until last October. Anyway, to make a long story short, he began going for interviews, psycholigical evals, polygraphs, and a PI came to visit our neighbors to check out his character. At the beginning of the process there were over 150 people selected, but only 57 made it all the way through. So when you see a trooper on the highway, know that they were one of the chosen few. Not just anybody can do this job; they have to want it! For the next 16 weeks he will be going through the academy with 44 other guys (12 quit after the training began). He has already made it through 3 weeks and the first 2 weeks he did not get to come home. Now he will come home on Friday afternoons and return to the training center on Sunday evenings. While being here with the girls during the week is rough, I don't regret his decision at all. He will be happy with his career and doing what he loves. Above is a picture of his class on August 1st (1st day of training). I know they all look alike because they are bald and wearing their BDU's, but he is in the first full row of cadets, 3rd from the left. We love you daddy and miss you alot!

4 comments:

House Queen said...

How exciting! A guy I graduated high school with who is married to a friend I teach with is there in training also. His name is Eddie Gibson. Small world. Congratulations to him on this accomplishment! Welcome to the club of an officer's wife!

Mylie and Me said...

This will be a cake walk compared to the military! I can only hope that he makes it up here in the Boro. I'll say it again, I can't think of anyone I would want to back my husband up than Mike.

Just get ready though, the State is getting ready to be the third party in your marriage! Ha!

Saylorsmom said...

There is nothing like fulfilling a dream. I am so happy for your family. I am sure he will be an awesome trooper. Good luck to all of you .

Holly

Unknown said...

Allison - Behind every great man is a wonderful wife/mom to their children, etc. I have admired Mike since the first time I met him when he came to the Veteran's Day celelbration at West! I am so proud for you. Anytime you can follow a dream, it is wonderful! Best wishes to Mike, you and the girls! May God continue to bless you!